I received my PhD in March 2012 from the University of Brescia. My supervisor was Alfonso Gerevini, co-supervisor Alessandro Saetti.
I worked at the planning group of the University of Brescia, as a postdoctoral research fellow, till September 2012. In October 2012 I moved to the University of Huddersfield, where I served as a Research Fellow till April 2016, and as a Senior Lecturer till July 2020.
My main research interests are in Artificial Intelligence Planning and Argumentation. In particular I am interested in the application of AI Planning techniques to Urban Traffic and Mobility. More generally, my work encompasses domain-independent planning, knowledge engineering, SATisfiability, machine learning, abstract argumentation, portfolio approaches, heuristic search, genetic algorithms, and automatic algorithm configuration. I am also interested in the fields of innovative applications of AI in Medicine.
- I have been awarded a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship!
- Our take on the future of Process Mining in dealing with recurrent clinical guideline issues
- Lessons learnt by organising an online conference.
- I am an ACM Distinguished Speaker for the UK!
- Thoughts on driverless vehicles
- Some very personal thoughts on the AI singularity (on The Conversation).
- Let me say: I'm pretty proud of this paper about ArgSemSAT published in AIJ.
- AI for Urban Traffic Control and Management
- The importance of domain model configuration in planning
- Are planners' performance affected by HW and SW configuration? Of course!
- From time to time, we do play with robots :)
- The state of Knowledge Engineering for AI Planning? Here the analysis of the results of ICKEPS 2016, and Our book on Knowledge Engineering Tools and Techniques for AI Planning
- Want to describe a Creative Agent? Here our proposal
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship: Artificial Intelligence for Autonomic Urban Traffic Control
- RCUK Catapult Researchers in Residence (Transport) project AI4ME (Principal Investigator)
- FOAK Innovate UK - SBRI project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)
- NERC project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)