I received my PhD in March 2012 from the University of Brescia. After my PhD, I worked at the planning group of the University of Brescia, as a postdoctoral research fellow, till September 2012. In October 2012 I moved to the University of Huddersfield, where I served as a Research Fellow till April 2016, and then as a Senior Lecturer and eventually Reader.
My main research interests are in Artificial Intelligence Planning and Argumentation. In particular I am interested in the application of AI Planning techniques to Urban Traffic and Mobility (this is also the topic of my Fellowship). More generally, my work encompasses domain-independent planning, knowledge engineering, SATisfiability, machine learning, abstract argumentation, portfolio approaches, heuristic search, genetic algorithms, and automatic algorithm configuration. I am also interested in the fields of innovative applications of AI in Medicine.
- I am one of the ICTERI 2023 keynote speakers!
- I recently joined the editorial board of Knowledge and Information Systems
- I joined the ICAPS executive council
- I am an invited speaker of the Wakefield Future Cities event on May, 3rd, 2023.
- I am delighted to be appointed as s Visiting Professor to the DIBRIS department of the University of Genova in 2023
- Our paper (with Enrico Scala and Lee McCluskey) Verification of Numeric Planning Problems through Domain Dynamic Consistency received the Best Paper Award at AixiA 2022.
- I am a recipient of an ACM Senior Membership
- I have been awarded a UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship!
- Insights into the potential risks of CAVs. The
deceitful Connected and Autonomous vehicle: Defining the concept,
contextualising its dimensions and proposing mitigation policies
- Our take on the future of Process Mining in dealing with recurrent clinical guideline issues
- Lessons learnt by organising an online conference.
- Thoughts on driverless vehicles
- Some very personal thoughts on the AI singularity (on The Conversation).
- AI for Urban Traffic Control and Management
- The importance of domain model configuration in planning
- Are planners' performance affected by HW and SW configuration? Of course!
- From time to time, we do play with robots :)
- The state of Knowledge Engineering for AI Planning? Here the analysis of the results of ICKEPS 2016, and Our book on Knowledge Engineering Tools and Techniques for AI Planning
- Want to describe a Creative Agent? Here our proposal
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship: Artificial Intelligence for Autonomic Urban Traffic Control
- EPSRC: Textile waste refinery for the production of recycled plastic, cellulose and dye (co-Investigator)
- Innovate UK AKT2I: To develop real-world AI innovations for Smart Urban Traffic Control (Principal Investigator/KB supervisor)
- AIPlan4EU Call for Innovators: AI Planning for Integrated Urban Traffic Control (Principal Investigator)
- RCUK Catapult Researchers in Residence (Transport) project AI4ME (Principal Investigator)
- FOAK Innovate UK - SBRI project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)
- NERC project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)