I received my PhD in March 2012 from the University of Brescia. My supervisor was Alfonso Gerevini, co-supervisor Alessandro Saetti.
I worked at the planning group of the University of Brescia, as a postdoctoral research fellow, till September 2012. In October 2012 I moved to the University of Huddersfield, where I served as a research fellow till April 2016.
My main research interests are in Artificial Intelligence Planning and Argumentation. In particular I work on domain-independent planning, knowledge engineering, SATisfiability, machine learning, abstract argumentation, portfolio approaches, heuristic search, genetic algorithms, and automatic algorithm configuration. I am also interested in the fields of innovative applications of AI in Medicine, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and Computational Creativity.
- (Ops, we did it again!) TemPoRal, a portfolio-based temporal planning system was awarded as the winner of the temporal satisficing track of the 2018 International Planning Competition.
- Are planners' performance affected by HW and SW configuration? Of course!
- From time to time, we do play with robots :)
- What's new in Knowledge Engineering for AI Planning? Here the analysis of the results of ICKEPS 2016.
- Want to describe a Creative Agent? Here our proposal
- What is the state of the art in Planning after the 2014 International Planning Competition? Find it on the AI Magazine paper.
- Curious about Portfolio-based Planning? Here an extensive overview
- RCUK Catapult Researchers in Residence (Transport) project AI4ME (Principal Investigator)
- FOAK Innovate UK - SBRI project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)
- NERC project SimplifAI (co-Investigator)
- Co-organiser of the 2019 Sparkle Planning Challenge.
- Co-organiser of the 25th RCRA International Workshop on Experimental Evaluation of Algorithms for Solving Problems with Combinatorial Explosion, 2018.
- Co-organiser of the Workshop RiCerCA, 2018.
- Co-organiser of the COMMA-18
- Co-chair of the ICAPS-18 Workshop on Knowledge Engineering for Planning and Scheduling (KEPS).
- Co-chair of the ICAPS-17 Workshop on Knowledge Engineering for Planning and Scheduling (KEPS).
- Co-organiser of the Fifth International Competition on Knowledge Engineering for Planning and Scheduling (ICKEPS-16).
- Co-chair of the 2016 UK Planning and Scheduling Special Interest Group workshop (PlanSIG-16).
- Co-organiser of the COMMA-16
- Co-organiser of the ICAPS-15 Workshop on the International Planning Competition.
- Co-organiser of the deterministic part of the eighth International Planning competition (IPC 2014).
- Steering Committee Member of the International Competition on Computational Models of Argumentation (ICCMA).
- Co-chair of the Study Day on Computer Simulation of Musical Creativity
- Planning and Scheduling Approaches for Urban Traffic Control. Scott Sanner, Mauro Vallati and Stephen Smith, AAAI 2019.
- Knowledge Engineering in Planning: Representation Matters. Lukas Chrpa and Mauro Vallati, ICAPS 2017 (video).
- Argumentation in Artificial Intelligence: From Theory to Practice. Federico Cerutti and Mauro Vallati, IJCAI 2017 (slides: part 1 --part 2. Video: part 1 -- part 2).
(Recent) Programme Committee Memberships
- 28th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2019)
- 17th World Congress of Medical and Health Informatics (MedInfo 2019)
- 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2019)
- 32nd International Conference of the Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society (FLAIRS-19)
- 29th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 2019)
- 33rd AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2019)
- 4th Conference on Computer Simulation of Musical Creativity (CSMC 2019)
- 27th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence and the 23rd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-ECAI 2018)
- 28th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 2018)
- 32nd AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2018)
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2018)
- IEEE International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES 2018)
- 9th International Conference on Knowledge Capture (K-CAP 2017)
- IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2017)
- 26th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2017)
- 27th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 2017)
- 30th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems -- Special Track on Application of Argumentation (IEA/AIE 2017)
- 25th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2016)
- 26th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 2016)
- Student Abstract and Poster Program of the 30th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2016)
- International Conference on ICT in Education, Research, and Industrial Applications (ICTERI), 2015--2019.
- Workshop on Advances In Argumentation In Artificial Intelligence 2017, 2018.
- SPARK 2017, 2018.
- RCRA 2016, 2017, 2018.
Service in Doctoral Consortia
- ICAPS 2016 doctoral consortium - DC mentor
- ICAPS 2015 doctoral consortium - DC mentor